There are numerous studies that have proven that allicin – active compound in garlic has the same mechanisms as ACE inhibitors in lowering the high blood pressure.
Moreover, garlic has the ability to prevent creation of angiotensin II, a hormone, and also helps in relaxing blood vessels. In addition to that, garlic is extremely beneficial for lowering the high cholesterol levels (LDL).
All of the above mentioned health benefits make garlic one of the best vegetables. Garlic also is used in many dishes due to its amazing flavor. We can conclude that garlic is delicious, nutritious and very healthy vegetable and that certainly is the perfect combination.
- Besides the fact that garlic is great for lowering the blood pressure and cholesterol, it also is the best natural remedy for the immune system.
- The latest studies have shown that regular consumption of garlic can reduce the risk of catching flu or the common cold by 63%. Garlic also is very beneficial for treatment of Staph infections and ear infections.
- Still, when is taken raw, garlic usually causes bad breath, heartburn, gas, nausea, body odor and a lingering pungent taste in the mouth. On the other hand, this depends on the body chemistry.
- However, for the following groups of people it is not advisable to consume garlic as it may lead to severe problems and complications:
- Garlic possesses natural anticoagulant properties, or in other words it is perfect remedy for treating circulation problems as it makes the blood more fluid, and on that way prevent clots which may lead to heart attacks, thrombosis and stroke.
- Still, medical experts say that you should not take it with anticoagulant drugs as it may lead to excessive bleeding.
- People who suffer from any condition that requires prescription drugs should not consume garlic without consultation with doctor.
- Patients with liver problems should avoid garlic as it may decrease the liver’s breakdown of some medications or in some cases can decrease the effectiveness of the medications taken for liver issues. In fact, almost all medications, particularly birth control medications, may have adverse interactions with garlic in any form.
- If are you one of those people who have a sensitive stomach, you should be aware that garlic can be heavy on your digestive system. Therefore, if you have an easily irritable GI tract, garlic can only make matters worse. Moreover, it may cause some gastrointestinal counter indications when is taken with stomach medications.
- For pregnant women “moderate” amounts of raw garlic are safe during the pregnancy or periods of breastfeeding, but taking garlic as a remedy during this period is not recommended.
- Individuals who have blood pressure that is within the normal ranges or tipping to the lower border should avoid garlic, as its consuming may further lower it and cause some other health complications. However, you can consume garlic, but occasionally and in moderation.